Welcome to the #1 Hyundai Palisade Forum and Hyundai Palisade community dedicated to Hyundai Palisade owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Hyundai Palisade Forum today!

2023 - 2024 Palisade Calligraphy trailer hitch release

MDinPA

Reactions
What I Drive
2024 Palisade Calligraphy
Some encouraging news. Dealer accessory ETA is currently 10/11/2023 For the hitch, however hitch wiring will be towards the end of the year. There are two versions of hitch part numbers; Calligraphy and all other Palisades. The Calligraphy will have a cover that replaces the lower center piece currently on the vehicle.

OP
MDinPA

MDinPA

Reactions
What I Drive
Thread Starter #2
Got my hitch and harness for my 2024 Calligraphy. The only disappointment is the center section that gets replaced is black instead of the silver like the rest of the trim.

Ttuite

Reactions
What I Drive
2023 Hyundai Palisade Calligraphy H
Got my hitch and harness for my 2024 Calligraphy. The only disappointment is the center section that gets replaced is black instead of the silver like the rest of the trim.
Did they indicate that a silver one is in the future?

Steve69

Reactions
What I Drive
2017 Ford Explorer Platinum
When you say you "got your hitch and harness," it sounds like you already have the car and are planning to install the hitch/harness. I want to buy a new 2024 Palisade with a FACTORY hitch/harness, NOT install an aftermarket hitch -- or even a Hyundai OEM hitch -- myself or through the dealer.
My salesman says the hitches are on "backorder" with no delivery date. I just spoke with Hyundai Customer Service today (Dec 11, 2023) and they could not provide an ETA for when a factory hitch will be available for the 2024 models.

My understanding is that Hyundai offered a factory hitch on the 2023 models but discontinued it because of wiring problems. It seems odd that a company that offers a car with so many sophisticated electronic features can't resolve a simple electrical problem quickly.

Does anytime have any idea what's really going on?

Steve69

Reactions
What I Drive
When you say you "got your hitch and harness," it sounds like you already have the car and are planning to install the hitch/harness.

I want to buy a new 2024 Palisade with a FACTORY hitch/harness, NOT install an aftermarket -- or even a Hyundai OEM -- hitch myself or through the dealer.

My salesman says they are on "backorder" with no delivery date. I just spoke with Hyundai Customer Service today (Dec 11, 2023) and they could not provide an ETA for when a factory hitch will be available for the 2024 models.

My understanding is that Hyundai offered a factory hitch for 2023, but discovered an issue with the harness wiring and stopped offering hitches until they resolve the issue.

Considering the level of electronic sophistication in Hyundai vehicles, it makes no sense for them to take so long to deal with a simple electrical issue.

Do you have any idea what's going on?

OP
MDinPA

MDinPA

Reactions
What I Drive
Thread Starter #6
When you say you "got your hitch and harness," it sounds like you already have the car and are planning to install the hitch/harness. I want to buy a new 2024 Palisade with a FACTORY hitch/harness, NOT install an aftermarket hitch -- or even a Hyundai OEM hitch -- myself or through the dealer.
My salesman says the hitches are on "backorder" with no delivery date. I just spoke with Hyundai Customer Service today (Dec 11, 2023) and they could not provide an ETA for when a factory hitch will be available for the 2024 models.

My understanding is that Hyundai offered a factory hitch on the 2023 models but discontinued it because of wiring problems. It seems odd that a company that offers a car with so many sophisticated electronic features can't resolve a simple electrical problem quickly.

Does anytime have any idea what's really going on?
IMG_1058.jpeg

OP
MDinPA

MDinPA

Reactions
What I Drive
Thread Starter #7
Yes, I got it. It is a Hyundai hitch and Hyundai wiring harness. I’m a Hyundai dealer in Pennsylvania. Here are the numbers you need Hitch for the 2023 - 2024 Calligraphy is S8F61-AU300, the harness is S8F67-AC700

Steve69

Reactions
What I Drive
Yes, I got it. It is a Hyundai hitch and Hyundai wiring harness. I’m a Hyundai dealer in Pennsylvania. Here are the numbers you need Hitch for the 2023 - 2024 Calligraphy is S8F61-AU300, the harness is S8F67-AC700
Thanks a LOT for this information -- it was VERY helpful!

It isn't clear to me why my local Hyundai dealer in Houston couldn't provide the same info as easily as you did.

By the way, do you have any concerns -- or experiences now that the hitch and wiring harness are installed -- about the existing wiring since that is supposedly why Hyundai hasn't been offering a trailer hitch option?

Since you purchased a 2024 without a trailer hitch, it seems possible that there may be some issues that will interfere with the correct operation of the trailer -- or vehicle -- lights.

Thanks again -- this is exactly the info I was looking for! It's just sad that I had to go on the Forum to find it...

OP
MDinPA

MDinPA

Reactions
What I Drive
Thread Starter #10
Thanks a LOT for this information -- it was VERY helpful!

It isn't clear to me why my local Hyundai dealer in Houston couldn't provide the same info as easily as you did.

By the way, do you have any concerns -- or experiences now that the hitch and wiring harness are installed -- about the existing wiring since that is supposedly why Hyundai hasn't been offering a trailer hitch option?

Since you purchased a 2024 without a trailer hitch, it seems possible that there may be some issues that will interfere with the correct operation of the trailer -- or vehicle -- lights.

Thanks again -- this is exactly the info I was looking for! It's just sad that I had to go on the Forum to find it...
No concerns at all. It took about 2.5 hours to install everything in a shop setting at home would be slower, but could be done. All wiring was plug and play, and all lights function normally. Also, I work in a Hyundai dealership, so I was checking every day and placed the order the day they became available.

Steve69

Reactions
What I Drive
No concerns at all. It took about 2.5 hours to install everything in a shop setting at home would be slower, but could be done. All wiring was plug and play, and all lights function normally. Also, I work in a Hyundai dealership, so I was checking every day and placed the order the day they became available.
Thanks again! The information you've provided is going to allow me to move forward -- FINALLY!

I do have a question, though. From the Palisade Calligraphys I've seen on the road, it appears there are two slits in the original lower bumper where the trailer hitch kit goes. I'm curious as to how you removed the portion of the bumper the kit replaces; i.e., did you have to cut it out with a saw or did Hyundai design it in such a way that this section just pops out?

And, one final question: What kind of connector is needed to connect a trailer to the new wiring; e.g, is it the old 4-prong style or the newer 7(?)-prong? My trailer has the older 4-prong connector. If the hitch has the newer 7-prong, I'm assuming I can find an adapter...?

One final comment: I cannot tell you how much I appreciate the info you've provided! I've been arguing about -- and/or discussing -- this with my local dealer for three months -- SO frustrating! If I hadn't been able to address the trailer hitch issue successfully, I was going to buy either an Cadillac Escalade or a Mercedes GLS450, both of which cost at least $50K more than the Pallisade, so you saved me a LOT of money! If I'm ever in Pennsylvania, I'll buy you dinner!

Reactions
What I Drive
Palisade
Some encouraging news. Dealer accessory ETA is currently 10/11/2023 For the hitch, however hitch wiring will be towards the end of the year. There are two versions of hitch part numbers; Calligraphy and all other Palisades. The Calligraphy will have a cover that replaces the lower center piece currently on the vehicle.
Hi,
Does anyone know what the part number is for the black cover plate that goes back on the bumper to after the tow hitch is insalled?
My Hyundai dealer here in Toronto installed my trailer hitch and left it without any plate at all. It look so unfinished.
Thanks

OP
MDinPA

MDinPA

Reactions
What I Drive
Thread Starter #14
Hi,
Does anyone know what the part number is for the black cover plate that goes back on the bumper to after the tow hitch is insalled?
My Hyundai dealer here in Toronto installed my trailer hitch and left it without any plate at all. It look so unfinished.
Thanks
It comes in the box when you buy the hitch from Hyundai.

OP
MDinPA

MDinPA

Reactions
What I Drive
Thread Starter #15
Thanks again! The information you've provided is going to allow me to move forward -- FINALLY!

I do have a question, though. From the Palisade Calligraphys I've seen on the road, it appears there are two slits in the original lower bumper where the trailer hitch kit goes. I'm curious as to how you removed the portion of the bumper the kit replaces; i.e., did you have to cut it out with a saw or did Hyundai design it in such a way that this section just pops out?

And, one final question: What kind of connector is needed to connect a trailer to the new wiring; e.g, is it the old 4-prong style or the newer 7(?)-prong? My trailer has the older 4-prong connector. If the hitch has the newer 7-prong, I'm assuming I can find an adapter...?

One final comment: I cannot tell you how much I appreciate the info you've provided! I've been arguing about -- and/or discussing -- this with my local dealer for three months -- SO frustrating! If I hadn't been able to address the trailer hitch issue successfully, I was going to buy either an Cadillac Escalade or a Mercedes GLS450, both of which cost at least $50K more than the Pallisade, so you saved me a LOT of money! If I'm ever in Pennsylvania, I'll buy you dinner!
Sorry, I haven’t been on here for some time. The center section is held on with clips and screws from the back. The new wiring harness is a 7 prong. I bought an adapter on Amazon for $10. so I can use 4 or 5 prong plugs. Glad I could help.

Attachments

Steve69

Reactions
What I Drive
Hey, MDinPA:

Once again, I want you to know how much I appreciate the information you provided that allowed me to get the "good" trailer hitch instead of the butt-ugly one Hyundai lists on their website.

Unfortunately, I have good news and bad news. The good news is that it didn't take Hyundai too long to get the hitch after I gave them the part numbers you provided. The bad news is that it cost $800 -- ouch!

More good news is that the installation took the amount of time they estimated. The bad news is that it took 3 hours and cost $550 -- ouch, again!

So, for $1,355 I have my new hitch. Woohoo!

The final bad news is that the fit and finish is not even close to what I expected -- and certainly not up to Hyundai's normal standards. Specifically, the hitch does not fit properly on either end and is much worse on the passenger side, exposing the undercarriage and the slots that the panel that the hitch replaced went into.

I went to the dealer to complain and the service manager told me that the mechanic installed it properly and there was nothing they could do. When I wouldn't accept this, he sent me to his boss (the "Fixed Operations Director"), who basically said the same thing. The way we left it is that he suggested I contact Hyundai directly at 800-633-5151. Before doing that, I wanted to check with you to see if you had a similar experience. From the pictures you provided, it looks like your hitch fits perfectly. I've attached some pictures showing the left and right side of the hitch before and after installation as well as what it looked like prior to the installation!

What's annoying is that the plate they removed to install the hitch fit absolutely perfectly. It's hard for me to believe that Hyundai was that lax when designing and manufacturing the new hitch.

Finally, what's really annoying is that my 2017 Explorer has a decorative plate which covers the hitch so well when not in use that you're not even aware that the vehicle even has a trailer hitch!

Sorry for the long post, but I'm really irritated that I spent that much money for a shoddy product and/or workmanship and the dealer doesn't seem inclined to try to make it right! :-(

I'll look forward to you thoughts and/or suggestions.

Once more, thanks again for your help locating the hitch in the first place!

Attachments

OP
MDinPA

MDinPA

Reactions
What I Drive
Thread Starter #18
Hi Steve, mine has a similar gap between the bumper and the black trim. Unfortunately this is what Hyundai gave us. I wish the trim was silver and fit better also. Something looks odd on the right side, I wonder if they installed all the clips and bolts correctly. But give the fact aftermarket hitches are even worse, I’ve learned to accept these couple short comings. My dealership charges 3 hours at $142.00 / hr. to install the hitch and wiring harness. I think your price is probably correct. Hopefully everything else about your Palisade will make up for the hitch issue. I’m glad I could be helpful. -Mike

Attachments

Last edited:

Steve69

Reactions
What I Drive
Hi Steve, mine has a similar gap between the bumper and the black trim. Unfortunately this is what Hyundai gave us. I wish the trim was silver and fit better also. Something looks odd on the right side, I wonder if they installed all the clips and bolts correctly. But give the fact aftermarket hitches are even worse, I’ve learned to accept these couple short comings. My dealership charges 3 hours at $142.00 / hr. to install the hitch and wiring harness. I think your price is probably correct. Hopefully everything else about your Palisade will make up for the hitch issue. I’m glad I could be helpful. -Mike
Thanks, Mike:

I still plan to contact Hyundai to express my disappointment.

BTW, I still owe you a beer the next time I'm in Pennsylvania -- or if you ever make it to Houston.

Steve

Reactions
What I Drive
I bought a new 2024 Palisade calligraphy back in January 2024, and there is a stop order for the 2024 OEM hitch. I wouldn't have bought it if the dealership wasn't negligent. I was stupid to believe it. I bought it on a Sunday, and after everything was said and done, it was already 8 p.m., so the parts department was closed.
I came back to parts after 2 weeks to order/pay for parts, and it was not until the service department said there was no OEM wiring harness/tow hitch for the 2024 model. W.T.F. Ugh.

I've been back and forth with the dealer. But it looks like there is a lawsuit out for the older model tow hitch secondary to the electrical issue so Hyundai has stopped and nothing out for the actual 2024. Still no update.

Hyundai Palisade Posts